Carol H Jea

Extremely Unhappy

I would give a negative rating if I could. My mom bought this item exactly one year ago, after saving up and finally 'upgrading' from our Members Mark grill that we had for over 10 years.

We used it throughout the summer and started seeing rust building up. We took extra steps when cleaning after every use and we always covered it with the cover that came with the product. We had it covered and stored throughout the winter and when we uncovered it this weekend (exactly one year from purchase), the entire grill was rusted. When speaking with customer service, they said it's not covered by the 3-year warranty that we purchased and explained the best way to store it (which is how we stored it).

They then proceeded to say that all grills rust and are not meant to be outside, which absolutely blew my mind. We had a Members Mark grill for 10 years and only had to replace the heat tents once.

I would never recommend this product or any Pit Boss product to anyone. The person I spoke to with customer service was nice and I realize they were just doing their job, but unfortunately, the lack of care from the company itself doesn't allow them to make things right in any way.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Rusts bad company do not back their products

User's recommendation: Don't buy PitBoss

Guest

Pit boss has terrible customer service and a faulty product.

Jamie P Vfj

Bad quilty equipment, horrible customer service

Pit Boss - Bad quilty equipment, horrible customer service
Pit Boss - Bad quilty equipment, horrible customer service - Image 2
Pit Boss - Bad quilty equipment, horrible customer service - Image 3
Pit Boss - Bad quilty equipment, horrible customer service - Image 4
Pit Boss - Bad quilty equipment, horrible customer service - Image 5
Pit Boss - Bad quilty equipment, horrible customer service - Image 6

Email sent to Company:

I am reaching out to hopefully someone higher up in the Pit Boss Corporation who can assist in a significant matter regarding our 5-month-old Pit Boss Laredo. I will start off by saying we had three great months using the Pit Boss Laredo. It produced amazing smoked meat; tender, flavorful, and easy to use. We kept it under a covered porch, cleaned it after each use, changed out pellets — you name it, we did it to keep it working correctly. After three months, we started having lots of error codes popping up. We found YouTube videos, googled reviews on how to fix, and we called into Customer service for assistance.

Our first experience gave us the impression they genuinely cared about their customers. They sent a replacement part of the control panel, thinking that was the issue. However, the error codes started to appear again. We called into customer service, and they suggested another problem may have caused it. They sent a replacement part of the internal thermostat.

After ensuring everything was connected properly, we started up the pit for a good cook. A white smoke signal was a normal occurrence once cleared we close the top to get to the desired temperature. Everything seemed to be going smooth. Then, we got an Ignitor malfunction error code. After reopening, we found a large flame in the middle of the pit.

After troubleshooting with no success, we started it back up. This time, the pit caught on fire, filling the patio with smoke and creating a large flame at the center of the pit. After the fire was out, the pit was all charred. We called customer service a few days later. At this point, we were frustrated that we were replacing parts on a $500 pit that we couldn’t use, and nothing that customer service suggested was working.

Our interaction with Jonathan from Pit Boss left us feeling more frustrated when he suggested we should have read the owner's manual before use. When my husband asked Jonathon if he had read it, he replied no, and said he had never used this pit boss before. We also had a discouraging conversation with a supervisor Kelsey, and another team member named Carl.

Kelsey initially tried to assist and then got disconnected after she had my husband take apart the pit. She claimed she tried calling us back, but we had no missed calls after being on the phone with her for over 2 hours. Later, she suggested that the occurrence of the fire and smoke was normal, which we believe is not the case.

We used the Pit Boss for three months with no issue. Thus, we believe the error lies with the equipment, not user error. Your company online acts like you have the best warranty and customer service. However, our experience has been far from satisfactory. As a first responder and a medical field worker, we handle stress daily. But dealing with the customer service of your company has only added more stress to our lives.

We had loved using the Pit Boss, but our recent experiences have left a bitter taste. We request you to send a new Pit Boss as we believe that the issue lies within the equipment, not us. We are tired of being given the runaround and we hope you will make this right.

Loss:
Pros:
  • When it works it was great
Cons:
  • Horrible warranty
  • Customers service
  • And company does not back their product

Gary T Bjt

Unresolved issue

Pit Boss - Unresolved issue

I bought the Pit Boss Pro Series Elite Smoker in February of 2024. I did research online to do my cook off and seasoning of the unit.

When I turned it on, the control showed the internal temperature at 0 degrees when it should atleast be showing an ambient temperature. I continued to watched more videos on this model to troubleshoot the problem ( being a new model, videos are limited). There were no videos addressing this issue. Ever video I seen the internal temperature was being shown on the control panel.

I decided to contact customer support to get assistance. They initially sent me a new temperature probe, that I replaced only to find out that this was not the problem. I again contacted the support group. Only to be told that it was a software update issue.

So we did what we could on the phone to update this. This did not work, although I was now able to use the app on my phone to operate the smoker. But the control board still was not 100 percent functional. From February to May I made several phone calls along with video chats to get help with my issue.

I was being given every reason possible for my unit to not be working properly, and being told that they did not want to replace the control box because it was too expensive to replace. So now im thinking I just paid hundreds of dollars to get stuck with a faulty grill that the manufacturer had no Intention of correcting. I finally got fed up and talked to a lawyer. I was advised to give them one last notification of the issue and give them a time frame to correct the problem, which I did.

They then told me to remove the control box (which I did not feel comfortable doing) and we would do another video chat so they could look at the wiring of the box to see if they can view a possible cause and solution. They sent me a version of the removal instructions. I managed to get the control box out without breaking the little tabs. But in the process the box fell about 8 to 10 inches and hit the ground.

Luckily nothing broke. I figured they would say the warranty was void because I removed the box and dropped it. I then reconnected the box to smoker to see if it was damaged by being dropped. There was no damage, but now the control box is working perfectly.

I went through the process of shutting the smoker down a few more times and restarting with no more issues. I then called the customer support number back and told them what happened. They were ok, your unit works and the issue has been resolved. I joked and told them I wouldn't recommend dropping the unit to fix it but I got lucky and there must of been something loose and that fixed it.

So now my smoker is working because of an accident and no help from customer support. I do like the grill/ smoker. I do feel it's overpriced for the issues it has. I don't feel the company sticks by it's product like it should.

This shows in how they handled my situation. This wad an issue that should have been found and corrected before this product ever left the facility.

Pros:
  • Nice smoker
Cons:
  • Poo quality program

Preferred solution: Apology

DAVID W Haq

| map-marker Seattle, Washington

No one to contact

Pit Boss - No one to contact
Pit Boss - No one to contact - Image 2

I purchased a Pit Boss from Walmart. It was the top of the line at the time and I paid $500 for it.

The thermostat went out on it after one season. For two seasons, I got a new thermostat sent to me. However, they all had the same problem: the *** just kept turning in circles. After five years of it not working, I'm going to scrap it, so it's not a very good product.

I have tried to see if they still have customer service available, but it looks like that's a thing of the past. All you get is a page with options to pick for cooking problems. There is no way to contact them for issues with the smoker.

The first year, it was a great smoker. Unfortunately, it did not continue to be such a great product.

Pros:
  • Customer service was above expectation
Cons:
  • Awful customer service and misleading website information

User's recommendation: Don’t buy there’s no customer service said you have a problem

Justin K Ijw

Verified Reviewer

Less than 1 yr old , left drum is peeling paint, Inside and out, and starting to rust. Called company. Was told to get steel wool and high intensity paint. Customer service said, sometimes they switc.

Pit Boss - Less than 1 yr old , left drum is peeling paint, Inside and out, and starting to rust....
Pit Boss - Less than 1 yr old , left drum is peeling paint, Inside and out, and starting... - Image 2
Pit Boss - Less than 1 yr old , left drum is peeling paint, Inside and out, and starting... - Image 3
Pit Boss - Less than 1 yr old , left drum is peeling paint, Inside and out, and starting... - Image 4
Customer service told us to fix it ourselves. We were told, 'Sometimes they switch paint during production.' Seems like the incorrect paint was used or wasn't prepped correctly before painting.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Customer service is terrible
  • Poor workmanship

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Don't buy from this company

Ian T Ttc

Verified Reviewer

When using my pitboss Laredo 1000 will have just got my grill to temp and error pops up on the screen and stop everything but the fan

Pit Boss - When using my pitboss Laredo 1000 will have just got my grill to temp and error pops...
An error light appears on the screen while trying to cook and it stops the auger. The only thing that works is the fan. This is the third time this issue has occurred.

Preferred solution: An answer

Bryce W Uur

Verified Reviewer

My smoker stopped working correctly and was talked down too, parts are out of stock, if that even what’s wrong with it

Pit Boss - My smoker stopped working correctly and was talked down too, parts are out of stock,...
Pit Boss - My smoker stopped working correctly and was talked down too, parts are out of... - Image 2
Pit Boss - My smoker stopped working correctly and was talked down too, parts are out of... - Image 3

Have a smoker, its not heating up correctly, when I first got it, it would go to 350 know problem, now it wont even hit 180,was talk down too like I knew nothing about smoking, parts are out of stock, I have to install them when they come in, could be 6 months, or it could be the control board wont know until the element comes in, was told then we would have to send that, after that I have to repair the smoker, the smoker goes up to 450 but they told me thats just standard and its no more then 250 but the dial is not marked, paid a lot of money for a smoker to just sit there after 6mos I will never buy a pit boss smoker or grill its not worth it, crap crap crap, if its a smoker why does it say 450 and way is the dial not marked, the manager talks down to people like they do not know what they are doing, so I have a big brick on my porch

Loss:
Pros:
  • Work good when they are new
Cons:
  • Suck after 6 months

Preferred solution: I just want the smoker replaced

User's recommendation: Never buy one at all

map-marker Lakewood Township, New Jersey

Pitboss grill issue

Pit Boss - Pitboss grill issue
Hello, I love my pitboss grill and have been using it for over a year now and tge only issue is the door at the moment. Its starting to peel back from the metal and im pretty upset with this. I have pictures of everything and will send it once i get a reply email from someone in support. Thank you,
Featured
DENNIS W Nds

Brunswick on FIRE

Pit Boss - Brunswick on FIRE
Pit Boss - Brunswick on FIRE - Image 2
Pit Boss - Brunswick on FIRE - Image 3
Original review Jan 01, 2024
My Brunswick caught fire underneath while smoking some ribs. Good thing I went to look, before it burned down my home. Seems the pellet auger overloaded the pellet tray. I have pictures if you would like them. IT CAUGHT FIRE WHILE RUNNING ALL BY IT'S SELF! Had to expend my fire extinguisher.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Brunswick caught on fire underneath

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Watch your smoker very carefully.

Abryana Qck

| map-marker Alvarado, Texas

Pit Boss - Tabletop grill auger gets stuck at one point and cant get passed it therefore no feed
I came out to cook and it was glogged. Cleared it out completely Put back together. Worked as i primed all the way around multiple times. Put pellets in it and it gets stuck. Comes up w Er2 on display
Tim B Nnb

Main barrel issue

Pit Boss - Main barrel issue
Trying to attach the legs to the main barrel. One of the set of holes are wide open and do not allow for the screw to screw in and connect to the barrel.

Preferred solution: A new main barrel

david h Wab

Verified Reviewer

Upset at the same excuse

I purchased my Pitboss vertical smoker (PBVS 4) 3 years ago. The control board has gone out 3 times.

The first time it went out was 6 months after I bought it, with only 3 cooks on it. They sent me an igniter, saying that would fix the issue. Of course, it didn't. So I called again; they sent me the auger, which still didn't work.

So I called again, and they told me it's the circuit board, which was, of course, on back order. So, 3 months later, it comes in. I finally got the part; it worked for about 5 months. This has happened 2 other times.

I've not been able to use my smoker for roughly 1 year in total. Now I'm currently waiting for my 3rd control board, which, of course, is on back order again. So, I won't be able to use it for probably another 3 months. I've never sent in reviews when things don't work.

But I'm letting you know now.

Don't buy Pitboss ever until they can figure out their damn control board issues. Worst investment I've ever had.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Never seems to work when i need it

User's recommendation: Don’t buy

Jason W Oyk

| map-marker Canyon, Texas

Pitboss customer service

I purchased a pbf400 it was delivered and I went to assemble. The hardware pack with the screws etc was broken open.

It was a cardboard sheet with blister packs on it. It was broken in three places and missing a lot of the hardware. I took a picture and composed a message to the customer service site listed in the manual. The next day I got an e-mail that said to provide better customer service they were no longer using e-mail and you must call.

I called and explained what the problem was. I was told that they would send out a replacement set. After five days I still had not recieved the parts. I called customer service again, and the very rude woman I spoke with informed me that it was only ordered 5 days ago and had not yet shipped and was likely to be another week before it did.

She told me they had thousands of orders a week and it did not matter that my parts were incomplete. I said in this kind of circumstance that matters of this kind should get priority. I was basically told to just deal with it.

I am returning the drill in the morning and will likely go with Trager. The customer service is truly lacking, at no point did she say "sorry" or anything of that sort.

User's recommendation: Don't support such a rude uncaring company.

Jeffrey B Qxy

| map-marker Barnum, Minnesota

I bought a smoker for a hundred bucks and used it for years but the element burned out,

So I decided to buy a 'good smoker'. I decided to spend some money and buy what I thought would be a better model.

So, I spent $400 on a pit boss. The first time I tried to use it, I couldn't get it to temp. I have smoked before and know what it takes to run a smoker. I called and got the usual run around with no solution.

I tried using it again and found that the hinge on the door was too close to the edge and was not sealing. I called again and they told me to put an oven temp gauge to see if the temp was correct and it was. I tried sealing the door with weatherstrip and tried again. Of course, with no change.

If you buy a pit boss, you will quit smoking. It is absolutely worthless.

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Please don't purchase this item you can get much better for a hundred dollars

Paul A Ljn

Verified Reviewer

Ultimate griddle sticking and peeling

Very helpful and understanding, quick on making something happen, and answered all my questions with no problems. I'm very happy.
Pros:
  • Variety of different pits and cookers easy to maintain great look cooks evenly
Cons:
  • Need more features in apps shipping takes too long wheels on the ultimate griddle for burner needs to be redesigned does not roll easy

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: Great products is it a main team they all cook very well and left all my pit, boss cookers, and the custom Team was excellent and making sure that my Issues Were corrected

James C Dwq

Verified Reviewer

Never has worked correctly!

My first pit boss smoker was excellent so I bought a new 850 pro series for over $800 thinking it would be just as good. Not the case, the new one didnt work when o got it home and has never worked correctly since! I have had to replace the igniter, thermostat and controller when it was new. It takes over an hour to get it to 300 and the temperature fluctuates by 100*. I wish I had bought a plain old non Bluetooth model as I believe the controllers are junk!
Loss:
Pros:
  • Price
Cons:
  • Bluetooth controller

Preferred solution: A controller or smoker that works

User's recommendation: Buy anything but the Bluetooth/ internet controlled model!

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article